Monday 24 February 2014

A Fond Farewell...


Hi Guys,

Last week I said goodbye to my psychologist, Kirtsy. As I'm sure all you other OCD'ers can relate to, this was something I had dreaded for a long while. Over the past couple of years I have been met with a vast array of doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists and nurses, not all of which have been particularly positive encounters. Concequently, when I was first introduced to Kirsty 12(ish) weeks ago, whilst she seemed perfectly lovely, I wasn't entirely convinced. How wrong I was. 

Not only was Kirsty kind, patient and reassuring. She was also fun, relatable and made me feel completely at ease. This is absolutely vital with regards to therapy; after all, it is here you should feel you can say anything, without judgement or rejection. 

I won't go into too much detail as therapy is something personal to everyone, however, I can say that throughout my time with Kirsty I came on leaps and bounds and will always be grateful for the work we did together. 

One particular revelation I shared with her (which I'm not yet brave enough to do so publicly yet) was particularly difficult for me and is a type of OCD with which I've suffered since the age of 12. It's something which I've suppressed deeply for many years and only felt confident enough to share after reading Emily's blog http://dreamstobeanxietyfree.wordpress.com earlier this year. It was after seeing how brave Emily had been to discuss such issues, that I felt I wanted to finally open up about a secret I had hidden for half my life, from everyone in my life. So to her,  I can't say thank you enough.

However, the point of this post was to share with you something which Kirsty said during our final goodbyes, which really did mean the world to me. 'You'll make a great Mum one day'. That was enough for me and it's fair to say copious amounts of tears followed! But to have someone who I had only known a short while, completely shatter a thought which has plagued me for years, meant so much I can't even describe.

So although my time with Kirsty is now over and whilst I know I have a long way to go, it's nice to know that others have faith in your character, especially when OCD has caused you to doubt yourself for so long. 

Thanks for reading.
Becca xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment