Thursday 6 March 2014

I know I know...BUT

Hey Guys,

Today is a kind of partner to my video on Reassurance. Since I'm still new to the whole video thing and don't want to do a word-for-word write script for fear of losing sincerity, I inevitably miss out things.

A few words I missed in this video, when describing reassurance with regards to OCD, were DOUBT and AVOIDANCE.

Whilst I touched on doubt, only using the word trust instead to describe my lack of self-belief, I completely avoided...avoidance! Avoidance and reassurance, without question go hand in hand. I use reassurance from others as a way of avoiding sitting with the anxiety. When I walk down the street and see poo, rather than spend the rest of the day wondering if I trod in it, I'm going to ask my Mum, or a friend, whoever I'm with,  'I know I didn't....BUT....did I?' With their one word response 'No', I instantly feel alleviated of any anxiety and whilst this relief may only be temporary, it sure beats me fighting the thoughts of contamination and blindness racing around my mind.

But this isn't good. Reassurance may seem like a quick fix but it's just that, a quick fix which will only fuel the long term belief and in turn, keep you coming back for more. So next time, when you've done something or seen something or had an intrusive thought and are ready to ask someone for a reassuring word...just try sitting with that 'unknown' and anxiety for a few minutes...I can guarantee it will only help in the long run.

Thanks for reading.

Becca
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment