Wednesday 30 October 2013

Mid-week Musings...

Hey everyone,

So today is Wednesday....basically Thursday.... so practically the weekend...no? Ever the optimist...

Today I wanted to talk a little about the past two weeks. There have been some ups and in response some downs, but that's kind of how these things go.

After my last post on depression, as luck would have it (sarcasm) I had an episode, albeit an extremely brief one, for which I'm incredibly grateful. It begun on a Wednesday and as I described before, crept up on me like a thief in the night, and before I knew it I had that feeling of  hopelessness. I was teary, exhausted and unsociable. It was as if all of my insecurities suddenly had a spot light upon them and I just felt overwhelmed by everything and just wanted to go hide in my bed for eternity.

Thankfully, I had a meeting with my psychologist on the Friday, which provided me with an opportunity to vent to a neutral source about how I was feeling. As much as I usually shy away from discussing my feelings during a depressive episode, it felt good to share my thoughts and I came out feeling ready to tackle the issues haunting me and address them head-on. Thankfully within a couple of days my mood had improved substantially and I feel a lot of this was to do with mindfulness and not avoiding the issues and thoughts in my head.

I can honestly say I have never experienced such a brief spell of low mood and hope that the next one is just as forgiving, however, if and when that happens, I plan to attack it in the same way, proactively and head on.

The following week was considerably more positive and even involved a visit to London. As you know from my previous posts, London is not my favourite place. It represents a period of my life which I would rather forget and causes my anxiety levels to sky rocket. However, I refused to let my OCD prevent me from attending yet another event and chose to act in a way consistent with my goals and beliefs, as opposed to my OCD.

My oldest and closest friend and I had planned to go to the concert of a band we had loved since childhood. I had booked the day off work in order to mentally prepare myself and relax as much as possible, prior to the evenings activities. It's fair to say the journey to Hammersmith was filled with anxiety and stress. Upon arriving at Waterloo, I was immediately reminded of past feelings of loneliness, depression and exhaustion. There was a moment in Boots as Hannah and I stocked up on some essentials, that I thought back to all the times I had visited this store alone, buying countless numbers of antibacterial gel and Carex hand wash, feeling like a drug addict in search of their next hit. As I looked at Hannah stood next to me at the till, I felt the tears forming in my eyes, however, I chose to acknowledge the feelings and let them go, focusing on the present moment. I wasn't alone anymore in the midst of my illness, I was here with my best friend, about to attend the gig of a band we had loved since our pre-teen years. I wasn't buying soap, I was now in a different place. I won't say it was easy, but I got through it and can honestly say I had a great evening, we laughed, we sang (badly) and it felt a little like old times again, when I actually would enjoy going out.

Queueing outside the venue was probably the worst part. We were guided through a maze of pavements in darkness, as we weaved through I was scanning the ground for any dark patches and I inevitably saw things which caused me anxiety. However, I simply accepted this and moved forward. Hannah did her best to reassure me, and whist I originally appreciated this, after a few seconds thought, I said out loud, 'the thing is, I shouldn't be thinking it's probably not poo, I should just think it is and think it's not going to hurt me'. That was undoubtedly a huge step for my thought processes and despite the anxiety staying with me throughout the evening, it did reduce and I managed to enjoy myself.

I think I most definitely need to ensure I keep practising the mindfulness techniques and realise when I am using the various negative thought processes. However, I feel that the little I do know at the moment has helped me in challenging the OCD thoughts.

I have an incredibly long journey ahead still, but at last I feel I am beginning to live my life in a way which is consistent with MY beliefs and desires, as opposed to the OCD thoughts.

Thanks for reading.
Becca xoxo


4 comments:

  1. Hi Becca,

    Just stumbled across your blog. I have pure OCD and have had it for several years after it was brought on by a period of work stress. I've been to hell and back with it at times and truly I would not wish OCD on my worst enemy. People generally struggle to understand just how crippling it can be.

    So therefore you were extremely brave to be able to face your fears and go into London like you did, given the memories it holds for you. Be proud of yourself! You stood up to your OCD and that is heroic, given how when the anxiety is at its worst all you want to do with every bone in your body is escape. You may feel weak at times but in actual fact you are incredibly strong : )

    I came across your blog from Dreams to be Anxiety Free, which is a brilliant blog bya girl called Emily. I wrote about my experiences with OCD and my tips for dealing with it, I think it may be put up there fairly soon. Some of it may be helpful.

    In the meantime, I've begun to recover a little myself now so there is definitely hope and there are plenty of people out there who can empathise and want you to succeed! Keep smiling and facing your fears and life WILL become brighter : )

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David

    Thank you so much for your response, really appreciate you taking the time to read my blog and share your experiences with me.

    Great news that you're starting to feel a little better, it's a day-by-day thing isn't it? I don't know about yourself but I'll have good days and bad, some days I really cannot face exposing myself to the OCD, whereas others I will just feel this inclination to challenge it head on - like the London trip.

    I really admire and enjoy Emily's blog, I can, like you I'm sure, relate a great deal to her struggles. I've also experienced pure thinking and unwanted thoughts, it just happens that at the moment it's the contamination. I do find it fascinating how it can switch and swap over time.

    I look forward to reading what you have to say :) I really am grateful for all the support on Twitter. A year ago I didn't know anyone with severe OCD and felt so alone, as hard as it is I'm glad we can talk to one another and feel a little bit less isolated :)

    Thanks again David
    Take Care

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becca, no problem, you're welcome! It helps me to talk about it with people who can truly understand like you can. My family have been a great help but at the end of the day they can't really empathise with how crippling and tortuous OCD can be.

    Yes, it can be a day by day thing, which is why it is so important to understand that you will get setbacks, this is entirely normal. I must admit that this can be difficult to get to grips with psychologically though. Recently I've been feeling a bit better and not thinking about my OCD as much - therefore when the spike comes it has been strong, unexpected.

    One great bit of advice I read though is that you'll know when you're recovering a bit not through the frequency of spikes in distressing thoughts but the amount of time you ruminate about them afterwards. For me, I have been spending hours, sometimes most of the day deep in rumination and recently I've managed to really reduce that, which I know is progress.

    Emily might put my piece on OCD up on her blog but in the meantime I'm very happy to send you the main lessons I've learnt. I've really been round the block with mental health - with my own struggles, studying, volunteering and working within it.

    Yes, you're also right about how OCD switches focus to a different focus, 'staining' is the jargon for it - this is exactly what has happened to me and why I would say that people need to get the right help ASAP before things spiral.

    Just in case you find it helps, below are some recommendations for books/websites that I've found most useful - they are treasure troves of sage, insightful advice

    1) 'Constructive Living' by David Reynolds - an amazing book that has really really helped me. Distinctive but intuitively wise.
    2) 'Anxiety Free' by Robert Leahy - this book covers the full range of anxiety disorders but the extensive section on OCD is masterful.
    3) Steven Phillipson and Steven Seay websites - both are US based OCD therapists and their sites - just Google their names- have loads of brilliant free articles on OCD. Both have a very deep and nuanced grasp of OCD.

    Right, I'll leave it there as I'm starting to get RSI to add to my OCD!

    Remember, you're not alone with this and that OCD can never change who you really are. Like all bullies it runs away when we dare to look it square in the eyes!

    Have a great weekend, take care of yourself,
    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David

      So sorry for my (very) delayed reply! Life as ever has been super hectic and it's hard to get in the right frame of mind sometimes to write on here. I have to admit that occasionally it's far easier to bury my OCD head in the sand for a little respite, I hope you understand :)

      Thankyou for the recommendations, really appreciate you taking the time to share those with me. I will also have a look at your blog featured on Emily's site :) Once again, I can't stress enough how grateful I am to have others to talk to going through the same thing, it really does help.

      Will be posting another blog entry very soon, once I get 5 minutes to just chill!

      I hope you're doing well David and getting in the Christmas spirit haha.

      Thanks again
      Take care,

      Becca

      Delete